Friday, May 18, 2007

Lords of the Underground - "Chief Rocka"

I always had a strange soft spot in my heart for Lords of the Underground. I'm not quite sure why. A lot of their songs were kind of corny. Their names were Mr. Funky, Doitall (like "do it all") and Lord Jaz. And they had a somewhat publicized battle with one of my all time favorite MCs, Lord Finesse.

But this song is one of their greats. First of all, the song itself is beyond hot. The beat itself is vintage east coast funk. It's got an actual DJ doing actual scratching. The lyrics are actually kind of cool, not corny like they got once in a while.

The video itself is very much of its era, with a lot of rapping going on in very dark rooms. But the video is set apart by the slow motion breakdancing. For some reason that is just the perfect, graceful counterpoint to the chaotic and frenetic music. I can't hear the song without thinking of this video.

Also, Redman shows up at 3:38!!! Of course it's so dark you can barely see him.

Keep in mind, there are several versions of this song, all slightly different. The first version contains the chorus is simply Lord Jaz cutting up "The Lord Chief Rocka, Numba One Chief Rocka" on vinyl. The radio edit -- and in my opinion superior, but much harder-to-find version -- is the "Boomshakalaka yo here comes the Chief Rocka" chorus.

"Lord Chief Rocka version"


"Boomshakalaka version"


I'm the, Chief Rocka, so I guess I am in charge
I freak it with a twist so you'll boom it in your cars
I'm the, one with the flow and the grip like G.I. Joe
I snatch, I grab, and then I grab the dough, see if
I was an Indian I'd still be the Chief
Hittin' gangsters like Apache with the funk from beneath
To the hip, the hop, to the hibby to the hibbidy
hip-hop, oh no, I don't wanna go pop!
I got, too much soul, rhythm and blues
R&B ya see, all that's cool, but
hip-hop and rap yeah that's where my heart's at
Even back when I used to break on a box

1 comment:

'Don' Cialini said...

Excellent choice. I've been down with the Lords for a while now, however when they first dropped I didn't care for them that much. I picked up their first CD in 1998 in L.A. of all places. Been Boomshakalacking since.