Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Best Rapper Alive?

The steaming pile of crap known as Vibe Magazine has created a "bracket" for Best Rapper Alive. You can download the printable bracket here.

Let's take a look at the list of some of the MCs on the list:

First of all, the four #1 seeds are Jay-Z, Eminem, Andre 3000 and Li'l Wayne. Um, okay. They have the regular list of characters that go into these discussions, such as Nas, Method Man, Common, Ice Cube, Black Thought, Redman, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, et al.

There are some interesting choices of people that I like but wouldn't consider in the Greatest Rapper Ever category, such as Q-Tip, Raekwon, Scarface, etc.

And then they have some MCs on the list that defy all logic. First of all, the "play-in" matchup is Jim Jones and Diddy. DIDDY? F**king DIDDY???!?!?! You are telling me that Diddy is one of the 65 best MCs alive?

Let's look at some of the other MCs on the list: Soulja Boy Tell'em, Nelly, Twista, Snoop Dogg, Jadakiss, Joe Budden, Li'l Kim, Flo Rida? Let's remember this is the BEST RAPPER ALIVE. Whether the songs that these MCs make are good is a matter of taste; I don't think that there is a person alive that would contend that these people are even very good rappers, let alone the best alive.

Most infuriating, however, is the list of MCs that are omitted. Just take a quick peek at this and try to keep yourself from vomiting.

  • KRS-ONE
  • Rakim
  • Kool G Rap
  • Lord Finesse
  • MF Doom
  • Aesop Rock
  • El-P
  • PMD
  • Big Daddy Kane???
  • Pharaohe Monch
I'm sure you can come up with a lot more. Feel free to contact Vibe and tell them how you feel.

3 comments:

E.J. said...

The fact that Vibe attempted this makes me want to drown a litter of kittens. Nonetheless, my picks in this bracket can be seen here.

Some of the pairings in the first round were a coin flip in my opinion...

1) Talib Kweli over Mos Def (3-pointer at the buzzer)

2) Redman over Method Man

3) Common over Black Thought (foul shots at the end won it for him)

I would also like to add Big L, Slick Rick, Posdnuos, and Tash to your list of the missing MCs.

There is one thing that Vibe got right. This is a bracket for best rapper, and not lyricist.

I'm more than confident that a group of us can get together and come up with a better bracket. I can assure you we wouldn't get past 32 MCs either.

On a side note, former Vibe Magazine writer and Real World 1 cast member, Kevin Powell is running for congress in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Blech.

'Don' Cialini said...

Okay, I haven't been this mad since I found out I was getting stuck with a $9,000 plus bill my ex-wife ran up in my name. I looked at this "bracket" then closed it right the fuck out. There is nothing at all that is redeaming about this at all. The list of MC's left off is almost as bad as the list of MC's included!

BlindButGuided said...

Clearly we all should be trying to get a job at vibe because apparently not much skill is necessary. The list of people omitted are some of the greatest rappers period. Fuck VIBE . They really need to stop sending me their magazines too.