Monday, July 03, 2006

Diamond D - "!*!* What U Heard"

Not exactly sure what they were doing with this video. There are a couple odd elements. First of all, the video itself is pretty lame hip-hop video stuff. Dark crowds of people, lots of zooming and fast-panning camera motion. A combination of black-n-white and color. And the strangest thing, Sadat X in the video lip-sync'ing his own sampled voice in the chorus.

The video pretends the song is called "What U Heard," but the song is really called "F--- What U Heard." Actually, officially, the title is listed on the album as "!*!* What U Heard." The bassline is hot and it's one of the better songs on the album. Of course, he also went by the name "Diamond and the Psychotic Neurotics" on his albums, but called himself Diamond D. and never introduced the Psychotic Neurotics at any point in any of his albums.

And by the way, in my opinion this album, Stunts, Blunts and Hip Hop was the best hip-hop album of 1992, which was the best year of rap music. So what does that tell you? It would have been better if they had made a better video, but the song is good and Diamond's lyrics are surprisingly good here.



From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli
My sounds slam, but some still wanna get with me
I don't understand, kid, you just can't see me
When the LP drops all my friends'll want a freebie
Whether in a car or you ride the train
My style stands out like a varicose vein
So don't front, cuz you know I'm the champ
Better off tryin' to buy a pack of Newports with a food stamp
Cuz the odds are none, and like Jimmy Castor, I've just begun
Brothers can't believe how the skills have gotten
Spicy as a steak with potatoes au gratin
But I'm not suped, I just got a lotta nerve
Cuz motherf**kers wanna see me shoot to the curb
But I just won't slip, cuz a slip ain't hip
I stay on my toe, like Broadway Joe

No comments: