Friday, October 06, 2006

Nasty Nas - "Halftime"

Some of you who were listening to rap music in 1994 remember when the Source gave a five mic review to Nas's Illmatic album. And this was back when "Five Mics" actually meant something at the Source. Unlike now...(Li'l Kim's "The Naked Truth"???? Are you kidding me???)

Anyway, Illmatic actually is a great album, even though it's only 10 tracks long and the first track is an intro. But one of the tracks on the album is from 1992, when Nasir Jones was known as "Nasty Nas." He had previously dropped a couple verses on posse cuts like Main Source's "Live at the BBQ" and MC Serch's "Back to the Grill." But this song is the one that got my attention.

It has a hot bassline, that awesome horn riff and that unusual wailing voice. The video isn't much, but the lyrics are great; tight but versatile. I love the flow on this song. The multi-syllabic rhyme scheme was still in its early stages and this song showcases it beautifully, damn-near making every word rhyme in multiple sentences. I was a little disappointed when I heard he was changing his name to just "Nas," especially since so many people out of the loop pronounced it "Nass." Of course those same people would have said "Nasty Nass" anyway so what do I care. This song was the first glimpse of what Nas would have to offer as a solo artist, and not just a mic-for-hire.



I got it going on, even flip 'em on this song
Every afternoon, I kick half the tune
And in the darkness, I'm heartless like when the narcs hit
Word to Marcus Garvey or heartless Sparkton
Cuz when I blast the herb, that's my word
I be slaying them fast, doing this, that and third
But chill, past the entree and let's lay
I bag bitches up at John Jay and hit a mantinee
Putting hits on 5-0
Cuz when it's my time to go, I wait for God wit the fo-fo
And biters can't come near
And yo, go to hell to the foul cop who shot Garcia
I won't plant seeds, don't need an extra mouth I can't feed
That's extra Phillie change, more cash for that weed
This goes out to Manhatten, the island of Staten
Brooklyn, Queens is living fat and
The Boogie Down, nuff props, enough clout
Ill Will, rest in peace, yo, I'm out

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would actually give Illmatic 4.5 mics, only because I don't really like "Life's a Bitch" and the intro is kinda lame. The rest of the songs are good (although the Q-Tip remix for "The World is Yours" is way better than the album version), but a 5-mic album should have zero weak spots.

Yes, my good man, Enta Da Stage is a definite five-mic'er. As are Beatnuts, Runaway Slave, Guerillas in tha Mist, Funcrusher Plus, It Takes a Nation of Millions..., Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers (one might also throw Liquid Swords or ...Cuban Linx... in there), It's a Big Daddy Thing and a couple others I can't think of.

'Don' Cialini said...

"Luquid Swords" not getting 5 mics is one of the greatest miscarages of rap justice. One of the best albums of all time, the best Wu-Tang album solo or group period. This will bother me until the day I die.