Thursday, July 06, 2006

Akinyele - "The Bomb"

Akinyele's (pronounced AK-uh-NELL-ee) first album was called Vagina Diner, which is really ironic, because there was very little sexual content. And ironically, Ak's biggest about two years later was called "Put It In Your Mouth" which is about exactly what you would think.

But after the first two tracks, this is one of the great overlooked classic hip hop albums of 1993. This song isn't the best on the album (I would say "No Exit," "Exercise" and "Checkmate" are my favorites), but it's the most commercial. It's got a catchy beat and got Ak some recognition.

One of Ak's gimmicks was that thing where he would suddenly lower his voice for one or two words in a verse. For example, in the song "Checkmate," he says the following:

So don't front like you don't know what my name is
Before I start diving up in that ass like Greg Louganis
That's not my number one AIM IS
You take my style and squeeze your lips
like probably you see your life stopped, you're freakin FAMOUS
I dare another rapper try to TAME THIS
I hit you in the ANUS
Once y'all reach for the damn STAINLESS


I loved it but it never really caught on for the guy. (And I can't tell you how many times Todd and I have said "I'll hit you in the ANUS.") You can see what I mean with the lyrics printed below in the second verse of this video. And yes, he did do it in every song.



I catch wreck like an automatic tec
Ripping rhymes as if it was written with Gilletes
Rapping over slamming tracks
My hand's compared to a drug called crack
Because it don't take much to get your ass smacked
So you can save bullshit
Word is bond get your shoehorn
Because I got a style that fit
See Akenyele be cold cuttin' brothers up like a DELI
Keeping my cool like Arthur FONZARELLI
I kick more black ass than Jim KELLY
Down with easy shit, this nigga TELL ME

No comments: