Thursday, July 06, 2006

Common Sense - "Soul By the Pound" (Remix)

Back before some queer now-defunct fag-rock band named Common Sense made him change his name, the original Common Sense (now known simply as Common) put out two of the best albms of the mid 1990s. His second album, 1994's Resurrection, is textbook hip hop for the sensitive guy who also wants to drop some clever lyrics. It was right before he turned into a loverman and decided to do R&B songs with D'Angelo and the Roots. And that Common is fine, but I miss Common Sense! This song is from the time of Common's first album, Can I Borrow a Dollar? which is another fantastic album.

Warning: This song is NOT the version that is on that album. It was a 12" single. This is one of my greatest pet peeves. And hip hop is about the only genre of music where it's a problem, because of remixes and alternate versions and whatnot. How many times have you seen a great video, then gone out to buy the album, and the version on the album is totally different from the video version? (Examples: "Buddy" by De La Soul, "Nappy Headz" (original version) by The Fugees, "I'm the Magnificent" by Special Ed, "Check Yo Self" by Ice Cube. The list goes on and on.)

But this song is far superior to the tepid album version. And Common not only has a fresh beat, but adds the awesome Grand Puba sample. And the "gimme a T.O. baby like, um, Chris Webber" always brings me right back to that time period when I hear it. Great song.




I'll buy you on a cracker, bayow, watch where the sparks went
Fatter than Dre, a Lover like Ed, super as Clark Kent
So give it away Lois, as I change clothes without a booth
And ride like this, like woof
The roof is on fire, it's not an LA riot
I got more ho-ho-hoes than the Jolly Green Giant
Large as the Professor and I'm never faking funk, hock
Fat as heavy metal yet I'm harder than punk rock
So take me to a land I know not too far away
I got skills like Tim and I'm coming in a Harda-way
So keep the crossover, Common is a b-boy
While you be dragging last, I be kicking like Bruce Leroy
Sho nuff, yo I got the stuff that tops the stove
And I am about to explo-o-o-ode!

No comments: