Monday, July 24, 2006

The Alkaholiks - "The Next Level" featuring Diamond D

I included this video on here for a couple of reasons. First of all, this is a very good song off a very good album. I believe Diamond D produced it and is in the video (fat guy with funny hat and sunglasses). And that Coast II Coast album is no joke.

BUT ...

The real reason I included it is because it somehow has both the greatest and worst line in any rap song in the long and storied history of rap. First, the best line, and it's actually the first line of the song. And goes like this:

Who's the n***a everybody diss, cuz you can't bust this?
You got a bad name like Dick Butkus
But he says it like "Dick Butt-Kiss. It's so perfect. J-Ro was really something.

And then it has the worst line I think I've ever heard in a rap song, and I don't even need to give you the whole verse, just the one line, courtesy of Diamond D:

I put words together like Peter Jennings


Just humor me for a second here. First of all, why Peter Jennings? Is there no one else who puts together words? Does Peter Jennings have some sort of super word-structuring power that I never knew about? Probably not, so I can only assume that Diamond needed a name that rhymed with "Peggy Fleming" in the next line. Okay, so Jennings does the trick. But "I put words together"??? That's the best you could come up with? Diamond was never really a great rapper but he's better than that.



For all my n***az in the places with blunts in they faces
Off the two turntables with the anvil cases
It's the L-I-K's that blaze and amaze that
[Gots to roll deep] in these crazy-ass days
But the Alkaholik rhymer, King Tee and Diamond D
Got the gats pointed at ya like we're to round three
Cause nineteen ninety-four is the year we overdo it
With the house party beats and flowin like fluid
Cause ain't nothin too but to do that s**t and print it
But it's all about the loot so every move is documented
And vented, by the man born for lyric kickin
Coolin out with your b***h eatin sweet and sour chicken

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey askinstoo,

Lick my ass.