Monday, July 10, 2006

Jurassic 5 - "Concrete Schoolyard"

Okay so I am totally cheating on this song from 1997, but I love this song so much I don't even care. It has one of the baddest piano loops of all time, and sounds like an old-school throwdown, but which much better lyrics and flows than the Jurassic's 1980s predecessors. It's not an old school song, but it sure sounds like one.

The Jurassic 5 quickly shed their gimmick tag, when everyone thought early on that they were just old-school fakers. They proved to have the perfect blend of an old-school sensibility, but skilled lyrics. In other words, they weren't going to blame any weak rhymes on being "old school," but instead perfected their four-man interplay with great instrumentals.



Now I walk from Tranzania
Earthquake Transalvania
And on my way I kicked a whole through the wall of China
Just to get the right blend
Cause its schizophrenic of the pathway to livin
I fell into the deep end
You shouldn't have told me
The pyramids can hold me
So now a contest is what you owe me
Pull out your beats pull out your cuts
Give us a mic, whatup
And we goin tear shit up
I'm on some old and forgotten
Sun up to sun down
Like picking cotton
The nutty professor science droppin
Rockin Robbin's hood
From New York to Compton
Me and my three sons
Jabari, Shakir, and Kahsum

2 comments:

The VP said...

I know this is off topic but...Remember when Busta Ryhmes kept saying "theres only 2 years left"? You think he was anticipating Will Smith's "Willenium" album?

Unknown said...

Nothing re: Busta Rhymes could ever be considered off-topic.

Honestly, was that the best title Will Smith could come up with? "Willennium"? Are you kidding me? (I sound like Dickie V now, huh?) But yes, if you really listen to that song on the first Busta Rhymes solo album where he is giving a girl cunnilingus, you can clearly hear him say "Willennium."