Monday, July 03, 2006

Smif-N-Wessun - "Bucktown"

This song is about as close to a hip-hop anthem as you can get. Not only does it have the beautiful horn riff throughout the song, but a kick-ass drumbeat and that great chorus: "BUCKTOWWWWWN! Home of the original gun-clappers." While that phrase doesn't really make much sense at face value, those of us down with the Boot Camp at the time knew what it meant. (Note: I was not actually "down" with the Boot Camp at the time, I merely bought their albums.)

I don't smoke pot and I have never shot anyone in the face, but somehow listening to this song makes me feel like I have. This video seems very ordinary but it really captures a lot about the time period. The ghettos (of course) and some black and white photography are obligatory, but some of the standalone shots (like the noose swinging and the blood dripping off the curb) lend a sort of eerie menace to the whole affair.

This album (Da Shinin') by the way is one of the underrated gems of mid-'90s East Coast rap, top to bottom. It's too bad they had to change their names to Cocoa Brovaz and put out albums with a lot of synth. Oh well...



Another murderer, just another prankster
Rude Boy dead 'cause him t'ought him was a Gangster
Tried to live the life of a hood from the streets
Test the wrong Dread, now him in eternal sleep
Mr. Ripper, I-I-I, lurk in da Stuy
Twist up da ganja when I want ta get high
With my Breaddren, a buddah session
Learn ya lesson
Or get blasted by Mr. Smif or Mr. Wessun

2 comments:

'Don' Cialini said...

Excellent pick here. While originally, I was not down with this song (for whatever reason), as time has passed I have grown to love it. Your assessment that listening to this song makes one think they are a blunt puffin' stone faced ghetto killah us spot on. I don't smoke weed but I also feel like I have a Philly hanging out the side of my grill when hearing this song. I'm going home and digging this gem up!

E.J. said...

Lights out in the Blue Room at Dablon Hall, nodding our heads to this song till our necks got sore. We did the same to "Verbal Intercourse" as well.