Sunday, August 02, 2009

Zhigge - "Toss It Up"

Zhigge to me was the epitome of that brief moment in hip hop, around 1992, when songs could be both banging and fun. (See House of Pain's "Jump Around," YBT's "Tap the Bottle," Onyx's "Slam".) This song has got everything, a great, ebullient chorus, nice lyrics and a sweet horn riff.

It's one of those songs that just takes me right back to those days when I was like 16 years old, playing basketball after school with Mike C., staying up till 2AM when the local college hip hop radio show would end. Sleeping through sophomore year of high school. And much of junior year. You know...either way, it was a great party jam. And there are dancers in the video! Maybe the last video in history to have authentic hip hop dancing.



Tossin' it up, once again, it's the man
That gets more boots than Tim's got on Berland (hey!)
Through my course I've crossed some tough times
So I write rhymes that's designed to get mine
With a quickness, DJ the thickness
If you're sweet, we'll have you tossin' in your sleep.

No comments: