Monday, July 27, 2009

Danger Mouse - "Encore"

I think that Danger Mouse's "The Grey Album" -- which features Jay-Z's vocals from The Black Album and instrumentals which uses samples from the Beatles' The White Album -- is one of the great musical achievements of the last decade or so. What a brilliantly clever concept.

This video takes it one step further, with a Beatles concert that gets a modern update. Brilliant. And with better production and instrumentals than Jay-Z picks for himself, it's easier to see the brilliance of his lyrics and flow. As good as Kool G Rap in his prime? Mmmm, that's pushing it. But he's got the goods, no doubt.



Who you know fresher than Hov'? Riddle me that
The rest of y'all know where I'm lyrically at
Can't none of y'all mirror me back
Yeah hearin me rap is like hearin G. Rap in his prime
I'm, young H.O., rap's Grateful Dead
Back to take over the globe, now break bread
I'm in, Boeing jets, Global Express
Out the country but the blueberry still connect
On the low but the yacht got a triple deck
But when you Young, what the f**k you expect? Yep, yep
Grand openin', grand closin'
God damn, your man Hov' cracked the can open again
Who you gon' find doper than him with no pen
just draw off inspiration
Soon you gon' see you can't replace him
with cheap imitations for DESE GENERATIONS

No comments: