Sunday, July 26, 2009

YAGGFU Front - "Left Field"

Once in a while a song comes along that is so perfect, and just goes away as fast as it arrived. "Left Field" is such a song, it's an unlikely love song, in the vein of The Pharcyde's "Passin' Me By," and straddles the line between sincerity and irony.

There is a lot to like about the song. The instrumental has a very cool organ riff, and some funky futuristic sounds. The song itself is three distinct verses of guys' rationales for not talking to a pretty girl in a club. One is too shy, one is too fly, one is too stupid. The middle verse is the most poignant, speaking of unrequited love.

Another thing: the band's name means "You Are Gonna Get F**ked Up (If You) Front." That is classic.



I got this girlfriend, but she's not really mine
Cause on the end of girlfriend is the way that she's inclined
Dressed to impress but she don't play dress-up
to catch my attention cause I already messed up
See I get ribbed, cause she acts like I'm sibling
Playin a brother role puts a block between my goals
I'm sold on the thought, cause I know I can correct it
But I don't step, cause I'm scared she might reject it
So I play along just for a chance to be around her
Perhaps she'll catch my hints, and we can end this fencin
then I'll make her my babyyy babyyy babyyy
Drivin me crazy on the one and one tip
When will she stop this brother stuff?

No comments: