Sunday, July 26, 2009

Nas - "The World Is Yours" (Q-Tip Remix)

To improve on Nas's 1994 Illmatic album would be a tall order, but Q-Tip damn near does it by creating a new, different and more dynamic version of this beloved single.

This is a far smoother instrumental version than the one that Pete Rock assembled for the album. It flows better (in my opinion) than the original, and sounded more like a song you would want to drive around to in the summer, rather than one you would sit in your bedroom and listen to.

Nas also does a cool thing with the second verse where he changes it, but bookends it with some familiar elements of the original. And even if some people don't think the inclusion of this track would be an improvement on the original, it would be a fitting replacement.



To my man Ill Will, God bless your life
To my peoples throughout Queens, God bless your life
My insights and light's vision
Words of wisdom, niggas pay me intuition
To listen, to murder paragraphs of mysticism
Man plant seeds that brings forth multiple breeds
So many cultures and one planet to broke my culture's free
Son, I need Weed to proceed
Change the flow speed and I'm getting vexed, Giuliani is six six six
There's no days for broke days selling smoke pays
I toke the chocolate for the phillies, never roach spray
Shit is a hassle, the bridge is like a haunted castle
The mic my religion, the system is the Devil's lasso
Hey yo, the trife life is most influental
The colors on mens skins and pens is coincidental
How ya living large or broker, you're wasting time extortin papers from smokers
Cacthing court papers getting broker

No comments: