Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Brand Nubian - "Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down"

One of the anthems of 1992, this Diamond D.-produced song is one of the nearly 5 versions of this song; the album version uses the theme from "Rocky" and the official remix is a completely different, although great version which I am still looking for. And for the longest time I thought the fat guy in the video was Diamond D. but it was really the third Nubian member, Sincere ("Ya know he's in here").

Like most great rap videos, it takes place on the subway. Look for two particular things in this video. One, Lord Jamar's verse just sucks. (He's the second one with the dreadlocks.) It's like he didn't have time for a rewrite. Secondly, about 2:45 in there is a shot of a man lying on the ground, bloody and cross-eyed. Notice that he has a passing resemblance to one B-Real from Cypress Hill. When this video was made, Brand Nubian was mad with Cypress for using the "N" word in some of their songs, since B-Real is Latino. They did make up later, thank goodness.



One day when I was ridin’ on the train I seen these two kids talkin’
About the nubian reign had fallen.
I didn’t say nothin’ cuz these kids caught my goat,
Even wore my coat like a murder that they wrote.
So this kid with mouth swagger ’n I’ll blaze the cloak and dagger
So I gotta show dukes the macho lot that I am.
I can rock a jam, make the world drop ham,
Oh yes, I’m the bad man, and bad men wear black.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Actually Todd, in this couplet Sadat X was basically saying he isn't down with gays. And he doesn't understand they ways.

(Note: that line is actually cut out of this version of the song.)