Monday, June 19, 2006

M.O.P. - "How About Some Hardcore?"

What a weird title. Wouldn't you think that if someone was going to bring some hardcore they would just bring it and not actually ask you if you wanted it? Still, I don't think there is any doubt that M.O.P. was the shit back in the day. Someone described M.O.P. as what would happen if Redman and Kool G Rap formed a group. Now, I'm not sure either Billy Danziene or Li'l Fame is as good as his respective rapping counterpart, but their flow was intoxicating to me. And that To The Death album is a keeper, too.

This video is very low budget, but I'm thinking that one of the reasons the production value is so spotty is to add the closed-captioning for the hearing impaired throughout the video. Instead of just adding a couple of highlighted lyrics here and there throughout the video, we get the entire transcript. And it's all done in that faux graf/tagger style that was so in vogue at the time. (If it were made today, it would probably be in that shiny, diamond-encrusted Pen-n-Pixel style.) [Note: The aforementioned captioned video couldn't be found, but this original version will hopefully suffice.]

THIS was underground hip hop in 1994.



Yo, I scream on n****s like a rollercoaster
To them wack muthaf**kas, go hang it up like a poster
N****s get excited, but don't excite me
Don't invite me, I'm splittin n****s' heads where the white be
Try to trash this, this little bastard'll blast it
Only puttin n****s in comas and caskets
I ain't a phony, I put the 'mack' in a -roni
I leave you lonely (Yeah, yeah, get in his 4ss, homie)
Up in your anus, I pack steel that's stainless
We came to claim this, and Li'l Fame'll make you famous
I mack hoes, rock shows and stack dough
Cause I'm in effect, knockin muthaf**kas like five-o
I'm catchin other n****s peepin, s**t, I ain't sleepin
I roll deep like a muthaf**kin Puerto-Rican
So when I write my competition looks sadly
For broke-4ss n****s I make it happen like Mariah Carey
I got s*t for niggas that roll bold
Li'l Fame is like a orthopedic shoe, I got mad soul
I'ma kill em before I duck em
Because yo, mother made em, mother had em and muthaf**k em

No comments: