Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Everlast and RZA - The Early Years

This song is so godawful I am almost ashamed of putting it up here, but I had to.

This song is terrible even by early 1990s pseudo-world music standards. It features some singer with the generic-ass name of Diva, Rhyme Syndicate stalwart Donald D (in a surprisingly weak verse) and Ice-T, who sounds robotic even by his standards.

But the best part is Everlast (later to be of House of Pain) himself, who toggles between the floppy-haired Harry Connick wannabe to doo-rag wearin' urbanite. I actually own this album, and why they picked this piece of crap song, that has almost no lyrics, and a terrible club beat, is completely beyond me. They would have been much better off releasing "F--- Everyone" off that same album. At least it would have been honest.



I'm Everlast born to be a caucasian
But it makes no difference what persuasion you are
As long as you know how to get up
Get on the floor and start workin' a sweat up
To a musical measure that makes you move
As soon as the needle drops into the groove
So get up and dance to the gift I'm giving,
Forget about your troubles get into the rhythm


*********

But if you think that's out of character, check out this old video from the RZA, when he was still known as Prince Rakeem. It's a song about how girls love him and he can simply not bring himself to saying now.

This "Big Poppa"-esque song reeks of persona overhaul. I can't imagine that the RZA, later of Wu-Tang Clan and the Gravediggaz, would have come up with this concept on his own. The song is kind of tongue-in-cheek, but damn if he isn't trying to come off like Big Daddy Kane in this song. It's just so very odd.



When I walk down the block
The girls stop and glock
They hop on my jock
Cause I got mad props
Tall & slim with the brown skin conflection
Half them sweating my love and affection
As I collect them, I must wan't to protect them
Love them deeply, but never disrespect them
I keep a tab on the large amount
But sometimes I find myself losing count
Of Latika, Diane, Lisa
Stephanie, Jackie, Teresa
Sharonda, um um, Veronica
Latasha, Sinthia & Monica
Never the less, you must give respect
To the femine queens that the God selects
I love them all, but even though
I'm rather happy, I should of said no
But yet my ego gets in the way
And always something that I'll never say
I'd just bag them, keep 'em under my wing
Put them in a posse, and let them sing

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Everlast went from suck to good to suck again. But when he was good, he was great. You can't even compare Serch and Everlast. Serch wished he was black; Everlast knew he was Irish which is the best anyway. Serch shaved "3rd Bass" into his hair; Everlast had tattoos on his arms. Serch wanted to be "down"; Everlast already was.

"You see I'm Irish, but I'm not a leprachaun / you wanna fight then step and brotha get it on / You catch a right to the grill / I'm right and not ill / a descendent of Dublin with titanic skill"

See, even while rapping, he kicked it Limerick-style.

Oh but this song sucks really really bad though. No question.