Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sir Mix-A-Lot - "My Hooptie"

Before "Baby Got Back" made Sir Mix-A-Lot the king of ribald rhymes about women's jiggling body parts, he was a sardonic Seattle rapper who talked about other amusing topics. But this is his magnum opus, as far as I'm concerned. A song about a crappy car. It was the first time I had ever heard the term "hooptie" to refer to a piece of junk auto.

Honestly, in this era of people talking about their Escalades and whatever other hot car is in fashion these days, isn't it refreshing to hear a rapper talk about how shitty his car is? I'd have to say yes.

(The sound quality on this is less than stellar, and it's slightly different than the album version. But you get the idea.)



My hooptie rollin', tailpipe draggin'
Heat don't work an' my girl keeps naggin'
Six-nine Buick, deuce keeps rollin'
One hubcap 'cause three got stolen
Bumper shook loose, chrome keeps scrapin'
Mis-matched tires, and my white walls flakin'
Hit mickey-d's, Maharaji starts to bug
He ate a quarter-pounder, threw the pickles on my rug
Runnin', movin' tabs expired
Girlies tryin' to dis 'n say my car looks tired
Hit my brakes, out slid skittles
Tinted back window with a bubble in the middle
Who's car is it? Posse won't say
We all play it off when you look our way
Rollin' four deep, tires smoke up the block
Gotta roll this bucket, 'cause my Benz is in the shop

1 comment:

'Don' Cialini said...

Best Mix-A-Lot song and one of my all time favorite songs period. Excellent pick.