Monday, June 12, 2006

A Tribe Called Quest - "Scenario"

On this, my newest contribution to the blogosphere, I will link to my favorite old videos of the "Golden Age" of hip hop (ca. 1988-1993). Some may fall outside of that realm, but most will be of this era. The videos will be of my choosing, with a combination of good songs and (hopefully) good videos. You can always suggest one if you see one, but if it's not one I like, I probably won't be adding it. Don't take it personal, brotha. Basically, this is a way to re-live my youth through the videos that I had always loved and haven't seen in years. Basically, if you want to know anything about Bill Shannon's adolescence, you can find it right here. I was a rap geek and didn't care who knew it. Oh, and these are all stolen from YouTube.com, the best site on the internet. (Also, huge thanks to my brotha Electric City Paul who not only inspired this glorious idea whose time has come, but has helped me brainstorm some beautiful ideas for videos.)

The inaugural video of this blog is one of the most inventive and eye-catching videos I had ever seen. It's "Scenario" by A Tribe Called Quest from 1991. It had that great computer theme, and this was like 3 years before Al Gore even invented the internet. Ahead of its time indeed. It's a great song, one of the classics of the era, and the definitive "posse cut" of the time. The shot of Phife with the troll haircut still cracks me up ever time I see it.



It's a Leader/Quest mission and we got the goods here
Never on the left cuz my right's my good ear
I could give a damn about a ill subliminal
Stay away from crime so I ain't no criminal
I love my young nation, groovy sensation
No time for hibernation, only elation
Don't ever try to test the water little kid
Yo Mr. Busta Rhymes, just tell 'em what I did...

No comments: