Monday, June 19, 2006

Tha Alkaholiks - "Make Room" / "Last Call"

When I first hear the 'Liks on King Tee's "I Got It Bad Ya'll" (video forthcoming) I thought they were great but destined to be one of those one-off groups that made one video or one obscure album and then would fade into obscurity.

But the 'Liks were surprisingly solid and prolific. This song (off the excellent 21 and Over album) is full of great punchline lyrics and jokey raps about drinking and getting into trouble.

This video showcases two of their great songs: "Make Room" is a funky little ditty where Tash shows he is one of the most out-of-nowhere, underrated lyricists around. But my favorite part of the video is where it morphs into the "Last Call" song and Tash says, "It's time to roll my sleeves up, [THWACK] a few MC's up..." That THWACK sound is the best thing I've ever heard. One question that always has bothered me though: Tash says, "I never drink and drive cuz I might spill my drink / I failed the breathalyzer so they took me to the clink." If you don't drink and drive, why would you fail the breathalyzer? Think about it!!!!!

You don't have to be a drunk to love the 'Liks ... but it helps!



The super, duper, gets it poppin with the quickness
King tee and the alkies straight gettin down to business
It’s all about the liks cause we’re heavy on the kicks
But we’re easy on the treble (adjust my mic level)
So fools can here me mic checkin all the way in china
The skills you can’t front on, tha alkaholik rhymer
Could rip a show up to’ up so I always flex my talents
But my words don’t be slurrin, I never lose my balance
But that’s cause I’m slick tossin bottles like a discus
The liks could rock a party from halloween to christmas
That’s why I’m screamin on mc’s like I’m onyx
I’m hooked on gin and tonics like your momma’s hooked on phonics

No comments: