Thursday, June 15, 2006

UMC's - "One To Grow On"

In a later post, I will show the de-evolution of the UMC's (Haas G and Kool Kim) from fun-loving G-rated rappers into hardened would-be criminals. It is like the loss of innocence we all fear.

However, this song is a real joy for me. Whenever I hear it, it takes me back to a certin time in my life where I thought rap was really at its apex. Of course, back then I thought it would always be great, so I was wrong there. But the fun interplay was a slightly more grown-up song compared to their kiddie-rap song "Blue Cheese." You can feel the positivity dripping off this song, with its ostensible message to get kids to break out of conformity and do something. At least that's what the video says. I love everything about the song, from the jazz instrumental to the "HEY" that is sprinkled throughout. (The sound is slightly off on the video.)



Castle on the borderline is surely like this
Approaching of a UMC is purely hypeness
(A fact) so I mention is again and again
(It's not necessary) those who comprehend my message very clearly
But not along the way to translucent
Throw your hands up for the man who sent
Invaders of my fruit basket, to a casket
Nina Dunnaway (see the fox run away)
So as a UMC I ask myself who can be the leader
Resembling the saws ought to fall
(Well it's you Haas G.) and that's a find the coolest in me
At a whim who would freeze blue cheese
Spin a 360 on a runway
Stop, and hear many more than just one say
"U-N-I-V-E-R-S-A-L" (Go on)
Cause we gave em all one thought to grow on

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are a fucking genius. Do you think Kool Kim is in anyway a harbinger of Kim Jong Il? Actually "Kim Jong Ill" would be an awesome rap name.