Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Eric B & Rakim - "Juice (Know the Ledge)"

Flashback time.

It's Christmas of 1991 and I'm watching Rap City after school. Rakim had just released a song called "I Wanna Know What's On Your Mind" which was an R&B song that did not blow my skirt up too much. So when they said they were going to show a debut video from Rakim, I refrained from yawning.

What followed was one of the best basslines in any rap song ever, and also one of the best lyrics. It's from the very mediocre movie Juice featuring Omar Epps and a young, pre-Thug Tupac Shakur. Regardless, Rakim absolutely demolishes this song, with possibly his best lyrical display ever. Who else could reference Elliot Ness, Al Pacino and Anwar Sadat in the same song?

The R was the s**t, and I can smell him from here.




Shells lay around on the battleground
Dead bodies are found throughout the town.
Tried to put shame in my game to make a name, I'm a
Put it on a bullet, put it in your brain.
Rip the block like a buckshot,
Who cares where it goes, just keep the casket closed,
No remorse when a life is lost
I paid my dues- paid the cost!
...And my pockets are still fat,
Wherever I'm at, I get the welcome mat.
Even if my crew steep with one deep
I attract attention, people like to peep
So come say hi to the badguy
Don't say goodbye, I don't plan to die!
'Cause I get loose and I got troops
And crazy juice!

1 comment:

The VP said...

I agree Bill, this is one of my favorite Rap of all time. Plus Juice was way underated, it had Sams from Lean on me!