Monday, June 26, 2006

MC Serch - "Back to the Grill"

The video is kinda lame, and the beat is kinda corny, but the song itself is a classic. With it's killer "Back to the grill again, the grill again" chorus, it is one of the definitive "posse cuts" of its era. It features MC Serch, Red Hot Lover Tone, Chubb Rock and some no-name called Nasty Nas (now simply known as "Nas," whatever he's doing now).

Lots of great things happen in this song. First of all, Red Hot Lover Tone gives the original George Bush "nuff props." Nas talks about waving automatic guns at nuns. And one of my favorite lines of all time is in it: "Jump jump with the man, with a plan, Chubb Rock." (If they could have only added the "A you know, a judo, a chop-chop-chop" part I would have a bulge in my pants.)




Finesser, keep a Tech-9 in my dresser
Lyrical professor, keep you under pressure
Mind like a computer, the inserter
Paragraphs of murder, the nightclub flirter
This is Nas, kid, you know how it runs
I'm waving automatic guns at nuns
Sticking up the preachers in the church, I'm a stone crook
Serial killer, who works by the phone book
For you I got a lot to shoot my songs in here
My rhymes are hotter than a prostitute with ghonnerea
On the mic I let vocabulary spill
(It's like that y'all) That y'all, kick em in the grill

No comments: