Monday, June 19, 2006

Leaders of the New School - "What's Next?"

This was not the most well-known of the L.O.N.S. catalog, and since it was from the extremely mediocre T.I.M.E. (The Inner Mind's Eye) album (where to my recollection, the only other good song on the album was "Quarter to Cutthroat"), it's no surprise that this song gets lost in the shuffle of the awesome other stuff that came out in 1993.

And though the video is kinda crap -- with very little direction, which is evident in the segment where everything is in slow motion and the L.O.N.S.es are sort of just jumping around like a bunch of jackasses -- it's a very good song with pretty decent lyrics (especially by Dinco D). Also, I believe it's the first appareance by Milo, the fourth, silent Leader. It would be like if Jarobi suddenly dropped a hot verse on a Tribe album.

I heard that Dinco and Charlie Brown wanted to get the old band back together but Busta Rhymes was all about Flipmode squad and didn't want anything to do with them. What a dick.



You know I love they way it's going down (Going down!)
You know I love they way it's going down (Going down!)
I'm the one knight supreme (Being all seeing)
Soul with the role (No I'm not European)
Operator, operator, put me on hold
Stories untold, watch the dollars unfold
Watch women approach me with the inviations
Previous engagement, speculation
I hate when my girl says "Give me some space"
On the telephone, and never to your face
I paid my dues, so lick the b***s!
In the summer, in the winter, in the spring, and in the fall
I'm romping and ripping, the needle ain't skipping
Gymnasiums and stadiums the crowd be flipping
The new to the next, and of course the nextus
The greatest, the grandest, of course you expect this
In cash, boom bash, slash, grammatical
Continual residual, flow is radical
All that, and a bag of Chips Ahoy
Tell your homeboys to bring the noise!

No comments: