Sunday, June 18, 2006

Ice Cube - "Jackin' For Beats"

See if you can spot the beats that Cube "jacks" for this song. There are a total of 6 songs that Cube rips off (in a good way) to create this song. Try to identify them on the "comments" page and I will give you a treat of my choosing.

I'm not sure what the message was of this song. That it's good to sample? That if you make a great beat, Cube is gonna steal that s--t? Because he can? Either way, it was a pretty cool song, off the Kill at Will EP but isn't really that mind-blowingly great after a decade and a half. Still, a good relic of the past in that it's a brief survey of pretty good funk beats of the time period.



Ice Cube, will take a funky beat and reshape it
Locate a dope break, and then I break it
And give it that gangsta lean
Dead in your face as I turn up the bass
I make punk suckers run and duck because
I don't try to hide cause you know that I love to
jack a fool for his beat and then I'm Audi
So when I come to your town don't crowd me
Cause I know, you're gonna wanna kick it with me
But I know, none of y'all can get with me
So you think you're protected
Well you are til you put a funky beat on a record

No comments: