Monday, June 26, 2006

House of Pain - "Jump Around" (Pete Rock Remix)

Since we have all heard the original "Jump Around" about a million times since 1992, it would be rather superfluous for me to show that one. Instead, I present to you the not necessarily superior, but far less-played, Pete Rock remix. The trademark horns are an interesting counterpoint to the video. The vocals are exactly the same, but the wailing Prince sample is gone and it's much more laid back. The video is identical.

I just have to say one thing about this song -- and Tony DiGiacomo, you can say what you want -- it was the greatest white rap song of its era, and maybe the best white person rap song until Company Flow came along.

When I first heard this song, it was 1992, and my sophomore year of high school was just winding up. I was watching "Hangin' with MTV" hosted by John Norris. He said they were going to be right back with a trio of Irish rappers called House of Pain. I had never heard of them before, and thought for sure it would be some jokey Digable Planets-rate lyrics and some corny Irish imagery. Instead, it was a dirty song with a hot beat, and the video took place with filthy Irishmen in a bar and at the St. Patrick's Day parade. As soon as I saw Everlast in this video, I shaved my head and started trying to grow facial hair. That's a true story.

(This video does not include the additional Pete Rock verse toward the end. And if you absolutely MUST see the original version, click here.)



I'll serve your ass like John McEnroe
If your steps up, I'm smacking the hoe
Word to your moms, I came to drop bombs
I got more rhymes than the bible's got Psalms
And just like the Prodigal Son I've returned
Anyone stepping to me you'll get burned
Cause I got lyrics but you ain't got none
So if you come to battle bring a shotgun
But if you do you're a fool, cause I duel to the death
Try and step to me, you'll take your last breath
I gots the skill, come get your fill
Cause when I shoot the gift I shoot to kill

No comments: