Wednesday, June 14, 2006

EPMD - "So Whatcha Sayin'"

This is one of my all-time favorite rap videos from one of my all-time favorite rap groups (or duos in this case). I think it may be the first video I saw where I actually said to myself, "My God, this rap stuff is awesome."

The concept of going underground was still untapped at this point (though countless followers would emerge) and the way the video is edited is dynamic and fast paced. Plus there is a sick cut by DJ Scratch at the very end of the song. Oh, and not to mention I am a sucker for matching t-shirts and fisherman hats.

Notice the literal interpretations of many of the lyrics. In case you didn't understand Erick Sermon with the marbles in his mouth.



Well, I'm known to be the master in the MC field
No respect in '87, '88 you kneeled
Cause I produce and get loose, when it's time to perform
Wax a sucker like Mop & Glow (That's word is born)
Smacked a second time, but on a different assignment
And do a sucker new jack who needs a rappin' alignment
Cause I'm the cream of the crop when it's time to do a show
Girlies on my jock for my dope intro
As I glance at E-Double, kickin microphone wrecker
Turn on my cordless, sayin mic checka
To the ladies . . . and all party goers
Some call me freak, and others slow flower
Brothers on my jock, for the way I hold a piece of steel
So what you sayin?

No comments: